They say smell is the best way to vividly recall memories. Anytime I smell vanilla, cinnamon, and rice, I think back to my days of drinking horchata in the mountains of Marin County in the San Francisco bay. I love making raw horchata and drinking it in the sun with beads around my head. I may not be there yet, but this tasty little treat brings me back to my happy place.
- 1 cup raw brown rice (soaked 8 hours)
- 1/2 cup raw hazelnuts (soaked 4 hours)
- 5 cups filtered water
- 12 sayer dates (soaked 4 hours)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
- Blend the rice, hazelnuts, and water in a high speed blender for about a minute. Let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and save the pulp for a raw cookie or pizza crust recipe.
- Once strained, pour the liquid through the strainer again back into the blender.
- Add vanilla, dates, and cinnamon and blend on high until the dates disappear.
- Pour into a glass container and store in the fridge for an hour or two so the flavours can meld.
- Shake it before you drink it… Enjoy!