I know that no matter who you are or what kind of diet you have, people cannot resist a chocolate cupcake, especially when they are made of healthy, wholesome ingredients. I was going for a decadent “Nutella” taste, but the consensus was that the cupcakes tasted more like “Baci” chocolate: a rich chocolate hazelnut fudge! Either way, they were amazing and I will be making them again and again for those raw skeptics out there! Mind equals blown.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 6 sayer dates
- 3/4 cup roasted hazelnuts, skins removed (not raw)
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup nut milk
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup water boiled with 1/2 tbsp agar agar (not raw) – wait until it is warm but not completely cooled
- Pulse chop crust ingredients (pecans, coconut, and dates) in a food processor until they are coarsely ground. Pour in coconut oil and pulse chop until the ingredients are fully combined. Try not to make the grind too fine.
- Press the mixture into cupcake liners to make the crust. Put them in the freezer to set.
- Blend the hazelnuts in a high speed blender to create a nut butter. Once done, transfer the roasted hazelnut butter to the food processor.
- In your food processor, put in all of the filling ingredients. Blend them in the processor until the mixture is completely smooth.
- The next part can go one of two ways:
- The first is to put the filling mixture into the crusts and return them to the fridge to set. They can be eaten after an hour or two but the filling will remain as a pudding-like consistency. You can store them in the fridge as-is to set overnight. The following day, the filling will have become thicker.
- The other option is to pour the mixture into a bowl and leave it in the fridge to set for 24 hours. The mixture will have become thicker and can then be put into a piping bag so that the filling can be piped into the crusts. Once all the filling is piped in, return the cupcakes to the fridge until they are enjoyed.
* Do not leave these cupcakes out of the fridge for too long or else they will lose their shape! BUT, this is one of the most delicious raw recipes I’ve ever eaten so it will be worth it all in the end!