There are so many different theories about what the best food to eat after a workout is. Everyone’s got an opinion – some say electrolytes, some say potassium, some say iron… Oh my! It’s enough to make anyone’s head spin! The only thing all of the theories agree on is the importance of protein after a workout to help muscle tissue recover. No more guesswork, because who has the time or patience for that – not you! Not me! I’ve invented an amazingly delicious recipe that combines all of the great foods you should eat after a workout: protein powder and peanut butter for muscles, pumpkin seeds and dates for iron, bananas for potassium, coconut water for electrolytes… and it tastes like raw peanut butter cookie dough! Hands down, the most delicious raw vegan after-workout recovery snack!
Disclaimer: May lead to greediness because once you taste this bad boy, you will not want to share it with anyone!
Makes one 10″ square pan
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, finely ground in a high speed blender dry container or spice grinder
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 cups sayer dates soaked in 1/2 cup of coconut water
- 2 heaping tbsps peanut butter
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Vega Performance protein – vanilla)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract (not raw)
- up to 1/3 cup additional coconut water
- Throw all the above ingredients into a food processor, except the additional coconut water. Pour the date-soak coconut water in with the ingredients as well.
- Combine the mixture on high while slowly adding the additional coconut water. The mixture should have the consistency of raw cookie dough – it should be thick enough to roll into balls and stay that way. If the dough can do this without the additional coconut water, do not use it.
- Line the pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper. Spread the peanut butter cookie dough into the pan and freeze for about 2-3 hours before eating.
NOTE: Although very tasty, the cookie dough mixture gets very gooey very quickly once it is out of the freezer. They are a great snack to eat at home but they are not so good at being packed in lunches or left in the car… Darn this snooty snack! BUT, one taste of its raw vegan-y goodness and you won’t mind one bit!