I love enjoying refreshing and light raw desserts for when the temperatures rise. In this recipe, I used agar agar and chia seeds as a way to thicken the filling without adding too much coconut oil. Agar agar and chia seeds allow for a nice thick filling without adding too many additional calories. The best thing about raw desserts is that one slice is sure to satisfy. It is a perfect summer treat!
Makes one 8″ pie
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Mix all ingredients in the food processor until the consistency reaches a medium grind (not too coarse, not too fine).
- Pour the crust ingredients into a pie dish and press firmly on the bottom and around the sides.
- 1 cup young Thai coconut meat (You can substitute 1 cup of shredded coconut soaked in 1/2 cup water until rehydrated)
- 1/2 cup water with 1 tsp agar agar dissolved (boiled – not raw)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 banana
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp white chia seeds
- zest from half a mandarin orange
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth, except the chia seeds.
- Pour the fully combined mixture into a bowl and stir in the chia seeds. Once the seeds are fully incorporated, pour the filling into the crust.
- Put the pie in the fridge for about 4-6 hours to set.
- Top with shredded coconut or cacao nibs before serving.